Thursday, November 15, 2012

Studio baked eyeshadow palette in California review and swatches

I still remember when Elf first posted their sneak picture on instagram, i completely freaked out! I absolutely loved their baked eyeshadows they came out with earlier and if i could get it in a palette and a smaller size, i'm up for it.  The price for these was a little high considering all of their other products are less then $6 usually.  So $10 made me a little bit hesitant. :) Please enjoy my review on these.  I have been using these for a while now.

Elf's description of the studio baked eyeshadow palette: "Each Baked Palette features 10 gorgeous baked eyeshadows so you can achieve a flawless look whenever, wherever. The silky and bendable formula of our Baked Eyeshadow provides smooth and even application with each sweep of color. Baked in an oven, these eyeshadows offer rich pigmentation for a beautiful effect. Infused with active key ingredients Jojoba, Rose, Sunflower, Apricot and Grape to nourish and hydrate the skin. The long-lasting and shimmering color can be worn wet for a vibrant effect or dry for sheer pigmentation, offering a variety of gorgeous eye looks!"
Product packaging:
This palette comes in a sleek black little case. I do not really like how thick the palette is though (14cm length X 6cm width X 2 cm thick). Each color comes in a pressed dome shape which is quite typical for baked products. I do understand that the shadows are domed but thickness of the palette is still not justified for its thickness. I did actually take apart the palette and the whole bottom of the palette is empty. Fail! The palette has a nice snap which isn’t too hard to open but it closes perfectly so it would be safe to leave this palette in your purse.

Color pigmentation/ payoff:
These palettes currently come in two versions: California which is all neutral palettes and NYC which is a smoky palette. I choose to only get the California since I thought that I would get the most use out of but I know you guys don’t care about that LOL. Okay I’ll try to get to the point how. The color pigmentation of these is only average but with a primer it is a little better. Most of these colors have a satin finish with a hint of shimmers, few have shimmery finish and only two has more of a matte finish. I wouldn’t bring this palette with me to a trip hoping that this would be the only palette since a lot of these shades are only shimmer/ satin and has no matte color which is one of the downsides to it.
Top row (from left to right)
1) Light beige skin tone highlight color with sliver shimmers; satin finish with slight shimmers
2) Warm toned bronze shade with golden shimmers; satin finish
3) Beige peach color with golden shimmer; satin finish
4) Rose gold color with peach shimmer; satin finish
5) Light coffee color with sliver shimmer; shimmery finish

Bottom row (from left to right)
1) Sliver shade; frosty finish
2) Dark brown shade with small sliver shimmers; matte with slight shimmers
3) Golden bronze color with golden shimmers; frost/ satin finish
4) Burgundy plum shade (very comparable to raspberry truffle from their studio single eye shadows); stain finish
5) Amethyst color with purple sheen; satin finish
Dupe to Sephora moon shadow in The nude:
Once these came out, everyone couldn’t stop comparing these. I had to see these for myself so I went to the store. The palette was basically 95% the same!! The palette case for the Sephora is fancier but the color selections of these are so similar, I’d say go get the elf one. Colors are almost all the same. Texture and packaging. Wow…elf you are awesome and stepping up your game :).

Texture:
Baked eye shadows usually are somewhat dry to the touch since they are baked and doesn’t have that silky texture like MAC eye shadows. But boy was I surprised. These were actually quite silky and doesn’t have too much fall out. Yes you will have a little bit of powderyness but I mean what eye shadow doesn’t right? Fallout I mean once you dip your brush into the domes and not when you use them on your eyes.



Smell:
I’m happy to report that this has no smell :). Sometimes with some products from elf, they have a really bad plastic smell to them but these have absolutely no smell!



Lasting power:
These doesn’t have the best lasting power on bare skin so I would suggest you use a good primer before you step out the door. Those would stay about 3-4 hours on bare skin but if you use primer, they would stay on for about 5-7 hours. Using these wet is an option for these too but not my favorite method.



Price:
These are $10 which I find it a little bit expensive for ELF since everything else is $3 and $6 and a whole palette is $15 for 144, so $10 to me for a small ten color baked eye shadow palette seems a lot LOL. I did get this for $5 since I used a 50% off studio line. There is going to be a cyber-Monday 50% off everything sale so watch out for that.



Hope you enjoyed my review on this palette. If you have anymore questions, don’t hesitant to comment down below, or if you want to see a review on a certain product. Would you get this palette for yourself? Which colors do you usually prefer? Neutral or smokey?

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...